Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weekend Recap

It's Saturday and this past week was really busy! Sorry I've been MIA, my family came to visit me from Alabama, and I had to show them the glorious Rocky Mountains. It was my vacation, so I actually took some time off to do some much needed reading. Tomorrow it's back to the editing cave with a printed out manuscript and red pen (I will post pics of the red pen carnage).

I've read some really powerful books lately that have stuck with me--Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson and The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson--both are really touching reads. Wintergirls is about a girl dealing with one of her best friend's death, a dysfunctional family dynamic, and an eating disorder. I adored this book. The prose was elegant and beautiful and when I slept that night (read in one sitting), my dreams were in words instead of pictures. I love when that happens.

I finished The Sky is Everywhere this morning. I am still digesting it, so I won't touch much on it other than I really enjoyed the book. Over my vacation I read Hourglass, by Myra McIntyre, Angel Burn, by L.A. Weatherly, and Imaginary Girls, by Nova Ren Suma. I plan on doing one blog post to review all of these books next week.

Sorry this post is a bit random, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm alive and what I've been up to. I hope everyone is having a fabulous summer so far!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, we looooved The Sky Is Everywhere! So glad you did too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, The Sky is Everywhere is awesome! I've been meaning to read Wintergirls, so I'm interested to read your review when you post it. :)

    ReplyDelete